Overcome Shortcomings of Manual Monitoring in Food Industry with AI-Powered Checklists
Last Updated on June 11, 2021 by Team Wobot
Food safety is a public health concern. Irrespective of the food variety you deal with, it is imperative to ensure optimum safety for the end consumers.
The pandemic has further improved food safety mechanisms and developed best practices for the workforce to follow. But several lapses are resulting in the end consumers consuming sub-par food. Most of it can be attributed to a weak monitoring system prevailing in the industry.
This article discusses the importance of a concrete process monitoring mechanism and its manifold benefits for businesses and consumers.
Trends shaping the foodservice industry
The food industry refers to many service elements coming together as a single offering. It includes restaurants, takeaways, catering facilities, food trucks, etc.
Like in any other industry, some trends shape the way we look at the foodservice industry. The pandemic and the learnings from it are the key propellers behind some of these.
Here are some of the most notable trends shaping the foodservice industry –
- Higher emphasis on delivery.
- Greater transparency.
- Smart kitchens with AI technologies.
- Higher-level emphasis on meeting process compliance.
- Higher outdoor seating arrangements and takeaways.
- More aware customers expecting better customer experience.
The importance of monitoring process compliance in the foodservice industry
We come across news of food brands receiving a lot of flak for serving sub-par food to their customers. Unfortunately, such developments can ruin years of hard work, brand-building, and the market share the brand has amassed.
Recalling food or a lawsuit can cause the business to lose thousands of dollars. Instead, setting up a sound monitoring compliance structure costs a fraction.
Here is why monitoring compliance is important for the foodservice industry –
- Streamlines the entire process.
- Ability to have better control of food temperature.
- It makes collecting data easier.
- Reduces manual error.
- It gives you the ability to discover potential outbreaks proactively.
- Improves compliance with regulatory standards, thereby increasing revenue in the long term.
Gaps in the foodservice industry
The foodservice industry suffers from many issues caused by gaps and limitations in the actual processes.
Here are some of them that have plagued it for a long time –
- Production can vary from one end of the spectrum to another.
- Lack of integration of innovative applications, advanced equipment, and better automation.
- Inadequate or misplaced controls.
- Lack of data for making informed decisions.
- Inefficient and time-consuming manual monitoring.
- Low productivity and efficiency.
- Wrong labeling of products.
- Haphazard management of solid and liquid wastes.
AI-powered checklists to fill the gaps in the foodservice landscape
Several organizations govern the way brands deal with food processing all around the world. For example, USFDA in the US and ‘The Bureau of Chemical Safety’ in Health Canada’s Food Directorate operate in Canada.
Everything aside, risk prioritization is the need of the hour. Given the pandemic, the emphasis on remote monitoring has skyrocketed. As a result, more and more brands are looking to imbibe it in the foodservice industry.
Also, given the clumsy nature of manual surveillance, they must encash technological advancements. It can happen by adopting a newer, more secure system – an AI-powered checklist.
Here is why we think that an Artificial Intelligence or AI-powered checklist can reshape the way we look at food services –
1. It eliminates the need for manual auditing
Letting humans handle a task gives rise to the possibility of overlooking certain aspects. It also increases the likelihood of errors while performing their jobs. With AI-powered checklists, organizations get the benefit of a smart monitoring mechanism taking over the task. It eliminates the need for manual labor and informs you of the potential gaps in real-time.
2. Custom reporting is a possibility
There can be times when a specific rule does not apply to the entire workforce. For example, some employees have breathing problems, which has allowed them to work without wearing masks. An AI-powered checklist is better equipped to track the same exception and reports the end user accordingly.
3. Compliance with industry and brand-specific rules in real-time
You can direct AI-powered checklists to cater to industry and brand-specific rules. As a result, it allows the organization to better maintain its adherence to safety regulations without interrupting its operations.
4. Achieve stringent controls effortlessly
It can often be difficult for human intelligence to remodel the way humans look at compliance. For an AI-powered checklist, it is a cakewalk. Here you can calibrate the software to behave specifically and push the limits effortlessly.
AI-powered checklists – The future of process compliance
Global food safety system development is a work in progress. We can safely state there is a long way to go.
We can fill some current gaps with more targeted investment and better data usage. Unfortunately, these gaps also convert into generating unwanted food-borne diseases. Also, poor governance exposes the brand to a higher chance of recalls.
At Wobot, we understand that the foodservice sector requires a sound compliance process to ensure optimum adherence and improving customer service.
Here is how brands can benefit from our services –
- Cleanliness compliance with regular tracking
- Development of crowd analytics
- Manage SOP adherence
- Develop custom service reports
- Achieve higher safety compliance
Click here to understand how our AI-powered checklist can benefit your business.